Monday, February 2, Oregon House Education Committee held a public hearing for HB4132. Parents' Rights In Education, Director, Suzanne Gallagher testified against the invasive legislation for reasons related to protecting parents' rights in public schools. Testimony Verbiage Here
Subsequently, US federal education policy was revealed siting the illegality of surveys for minors, without written parent permission. The bill endorses illegal activity for public school districts, board members, and staff, opening them up to law suits.
HB 4132: Isn't what we thought it was...
We were concerned about the dangerous and invasive content shown to 10 year-olds, but then we discovered "surveys" are ILLEGAL!
20 U.S.C. § 1232h - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 1232h. Protection of pupil rights.
Limits on survey, analysis, or evaluations
No student shall be required, as part of any applicable program, to submit to a survey, analysis, or evaluation that reveals information concerning--
(1) political affiliations or beliefs of the student or the student's parent;
(2) mental or psychological problems of the student or the student's family;
(3) sex behavior or attitudes;
(4) illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
(5) critical appraisals of other individuals with whom respondents have close family relationships;
(6) legally recognized privileged or analogous relationships, such as those of lawyers, physicians, and ministers;
(7) religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or student's parent; or
(8) income (other than that required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program or for receiving financial assistance under such program),
without the prior consent of the student (if the student is an adult or emancipated minor), or in the case of an un-emancipated minor, without the prior written consent of the parent."
SURVEYS ARE GIVEN TO STUDENTS, NOW!!
The practice by schools surveying students is not new! School Districts and Board Members ARE liable!